Search This Blog

Monday, July 11, 2011

To DNF or not DNF that is the Question

My philosophy is that if I really put an effort into finding your cache, and can't find it then I will post  a DNF, if I'm pressed for time and put a half donkey effort (did I mention that this is a family friendly blog) then I probably won't mark it as a DNF but I will go back and try again when I have time.  

I heard from a Cacher the other day that they never mark DNF's as they think it makes them look inept.  I tried to explain that it was important to the CO (Cache Owner), if they are getting to many DNF,s then they will check on the cache to make sure it hasn't been Muggled.  

Part keeping Geocaching fun is to keep the caches well maintained, if we don't mark our DNF's after an honest try at the find, then how is the CO (Cache Owner) to know when things have gone awry.

What is your opinion on DNF's ?    
--
NATIONAL GEOCACHER

1 comment:

  1. I feel the same as you do, if I showed up and gave an effort to find a cache I'll log it DNF. If I have to leave because my kids are yanking me away or I have to move the car or something and didn't really give it my all to find it I just won't log. I find it fun to log my DNF and share my frustration with other people who couldn't find it. Plus it makes it that much better when you do log the find on it.
    It's also good to log a needs fixing on a cache that needs a little attention. Most CO's don't visit all of their caches regularly to check up on them, especially the remote ones, so I think it's good for us to all team together and keep that information flowing. I've also taken to carrying around an extra log book in case I run into a cache where it's full or in poor order, just so I can help out. It's about being a part of a community not about whining how some people don't take care of their caches.

    ReplyDelete